DIAMOND project promotes a new Call for Papers for the Special Issue: “Mobility for Sustainable Societies: Challenges and opportunities” of the Sustainability Journal. This Special issue seeks high-quality theoretical, policy and empirical papers that will progress the understanding of, and how to move towards a fairer sustainable transport system.
The deadline for manuscript submissions is the 28th of February 2021.
Sustainable mobility is a term that can be used to summarise “what is at stake in contemporary attempts to redress the balance of costs and benefits in the transport sector”. A sustainable approach requires a shift away from a focus on traditional transport planning towards “a policy approach that is informed by evidence and risk assessment and which recognises the pitfalls of unconstrained growth” (Giorgi 2003) and also one that is fair to all groups using or related to transport. As a vision, sustainable mobility has been quite influential in effecting recent changes among policy-makers and key stakeholders.
Fairness in transport is usually an important desired outcome of transport systems, but the concept and how to achieve it are poorly understood by the society and professionals. In order to raise the awareness about the importance of fairer transports systems,
Papers could be related to any aspect of sustainable mobility of fairness in transport, especially those related to gender issues:
- How do concepts of ‘fairness’, ‘equality of opportunities’ and ‘equality of outcomes’ lead to different transport policies and sustainable mobility?
- How do transport systems deal with fairness (an example being balancing cheaper fares for some groups, such as children, but not others)?
- Which groups in society are particularly affected by issues of fairness and sustainable mobility in transport?
- Whose decisions form the future transport system?
- How are power and influence distributed among citizens and groups of citizens, regarding mobility and space for transport solutions?
- What policies are needed to help achieve fair and sustainable mobility in transport and for whom?
- How can policies related to fair and sustainable mobility be implemented and moved into practice?
- How do issues of fair and sustainable mobility influence different modes and types of transport (e.g., public transport, autonomous vehicles, bicycle or car-sharing) or employment in transport?
The papers will be published in the Sustainability Journal, an international Open Access journal providing an advanced forum for research findings in areas related to sustainability and sustainable development.
DIAMOND project’s partners Dr. Maria Chiara Leva, Lecturer at TU Dublin, and Dr. Ron McQuaid, Professor at the University of Stirling, are part of the guest editors of this Call for Papers, together with partners from the European projects TInnGo and INDIMO.
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). We also encourage authors to send a short abstract or tentative title to the Editorial Office in advance (firstname.lastname@example.org).
DEADLINE FOR MANUSCRIPTS SUBMISSION: 28th of February 2021.